About the Chapter
The Purpose of the Ontario Chapter:
1. Provide forums for networking and sharing of information between supervised child access providers and other professionals involved in providing support to children and parent who are not living together.
2. Develop and disseminate standards for practice of child access services.
3. Provide public education regarding the importance of children having safe conflict-free contact with both parents and other family members and the role of child access programs in the continuum of services for divorced and separated families and for children in out-of-home placement.
3. Maintain a directory of supervised child access providers that is available to SVN members, other professionals, families, and the general public.
4. Educate public and private decision-makers regarding the importance of funding for child access service and provide assistance to local courts and/or service providers in accessing funds to provide affordable services to children and their families.
5. Provide any other services and information as may be appropriate.
What's Going On
WOW!!! What a great and informative presentation at our AGM on April 18th from the Honourable Justice Philip Clay. He spoke about the intersection of Family Court and Criminal Proceedings with a real emphasize on how Supervised Access Providers are impacted. All 31 members/guest in attendance were impressed.
We are excited to welcome Jeremy Zurfluh, Olivia Furlong, and Ying Lu to your Board of Officers. They bring their expertise and energy to our Board of Officers for a term of 2016-2018. Olivia & Jeremy have also graciously offered to enter into the roles of Secretary & Treasurer, respectively. Please join us in welcoming them!!
Also, we had the opportunity to hear from Maribeth Christensen who is on the ballot for this coming Board of Directors. The election takes place at this years AGM (May) in San Diego, CA. Our Chapter encourages you to submit a vote for Maribeth as she brings knowledge of our field, energy, hardwork, and some innovative ideas to enhance our experience as members of SVN.
Unfortunately, many of us will not be able to attend the conference in-person (due to a variety of factors, including the not-so-strength of our dollar!). As such, we would like to encourage you to complete your Absentee Ballot available via this link: https://svnetwork.wufoo.com/forms/2016-absentee-ballot/
Amended (AGM 2015) Bylaws have been made available to you on this webpage under the "Meeting Minutes" tab.
CHECK-OUT LINKS TO UPCOMING LOCAL TRAININGS UNDER OUR "ONLINE RESOURCES" LINK LOCATED IN THE COLUMN ON THE LEFT
The Crisis Prevention Institute has an excellent training piece on non verbal cues that may provide the information you are seeking. Also, you may not be aware that CPI has just released a new Hybrid training option that might make completing the training through your agency more manageable. Participants complete a large part of the training on their own time prior to attending the face to face training which saves face to face training time. As it is set up, the CPI Hybrid training requires both the trainer and the trainees to provide examples relevant to the work that they are doing and the role they have . As the hybrid training is completed prior to the face to face training, all staff come to class prepared with concrete examples. You may also not be aware that our own, Farhana Meghji , is a certified CPI trainer and may be available to come and provide the training to your staff. For more information you can go to crisisprevention.com
ONTARIO CHAPTER ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING - JOIN US FOR OUR AGM MEETING: MONDAY APRIL 18TH, 2016 6:30 TO 7:15PM IN THE VARSITY ROOM AT THE HOLIDAY INN, TORONTO-BLOOR-YORKVILLE
SPECIAL EVENT FOLLOWING THE AGM FROM 7:30PM TO 8:30PM IN THE SAME ROOM:
PRESENTATION BY THE HONOURABLE JUSTICE PHILIP CLAY WILL SPEAK ABOUT THE INTERSECTION OF FAMILY COURT & CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS
Guest Speaker Presentation is open to all SVN Ontario members and guests
For more information & to RSVP, email Farhana - firstname.lastname@example.org
Seating is limited, so please RSVP Farhana as Chapter Members will be given priority up to Friday April 8th, before seats will be open to non-member guests.
The presentation is free for all SVN Ontario Chapter members; fee for non-members is $10.00 collected at the door.
Some more news
LET US KNOW OF ANY IN YOUR AREA!!